10 Favorite Art Pieces at Pinto Art Museum

The Pinto Art Museum is home to about 300 art forms, installations and pieces. From these, one could easily handpick their favorites.

I am sharing to you here the art pieces that resonated to me as noteworthy, left me staring at it for a while, and/or caught me in sheer awe. 

To add shazam to this list, I am presenting each artwork to you in order of my preference. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
10. "Christ in the storm on the sea of Galilee (After Rembrandt)" by Crispin VIllanueva Jr. The disciples' ship seems to be in an impending doom, as realistically portrayed. 

But the interesting part of this painting is its bubble wrap effect. The artist painstakingly painted bubbles all over the artwork, I give him huge props for effort.

"Christ in the storm on the sea of Galilee (After Rembrandt)" Oil on canvas (152 x 122 cm) by Crispin VIllanueva Jr. (2007)

9. "Into the realm of Consciousness" by Keiye Miranda. According to the curator, the artist lost her daughter in a pool drowning accident. Distraught, the vision of her daughter peaceful and still at the bottom of the pool came to him in a dream, which inspired this painting. 

It's haunting and yet you can glean the artist's grief and his journey towards acceptance.


"Into the realm of Consciousness" Oil on canvas (182.9 x 182.9 cm) by Keiye Miranda (2009)


8. "Sessions with the Messiah" by Mark Justiniani is a triptych (a work of art that is divided into three sections). It seems to me like a collection of religious images. 

It struck me because the images were like a puzzle which are only comprehensible or coherent if you know the faith. Knowing that I was able to understand the message, I was affirmed of my Catholic faith. The middle panel seems to me like the virgin Mary's assumption to Heaven. 




"Sessions with the Messiah" Oil on canvas (95 x 252.5 cm) by Mark Justiniani (2003)



7. This one is an ingenious recreation of the wheelchair. It is re-fashioned to suit the comfort of the rider, although being wheelchair-ridden renders one powerless. 

I like it because of its novelty.

(Untitled) Art installation


6. Another "Makiling" depiction which Filipino artists are famous for. Alonday's sculpture stands out for me because I can see the gracefulness of Maria Makiling although she is depicted here unglamorously. 

You can also discern the forest diwata through the wooden branches. 

"Makiling" Stoneware and Wrought Iron (92 x 34 x 73 cm) by Salvador Alonday (2009)



5.I'm not sure why I was drawn to this, but maybe its symmetry and wise use of color. I sure think the artist knows how to harness the power of the Rule of Thirds.
 


"Playground" Oil on canvas (76.2 x 61 cm) by Jose Santos III (2005)

4. My next few favorites are from Anthony Palomo's exhibit named "Reprise". According to the description, we can better appreciate his paintings by "looking as if listening" where each painting can be viewed as a visual song.

These watercolour paintings of warm colors and mixed media exude a nostalgic feeling of "eternal dreaming". 

He also has a knack for depicting the contemporary in his artwork. In "Sipol" a play button can be found, an ode to the popularity of smart phones where this icon is usually found.
"Muse" Acrylic and mixed media on canvas (48 x 48 in) by Anthony Palomo (2014)

" Sipol (the fool)" Acrylic and mixed media on canvas (56 x 48 in) by Anthony Palomo (2014)

"Perfectly Useless Afternoon" Acrylic and mixed media on canvas (60 x 48 in) by Anthony Palomo (2014)

3.I love these untitled steel sculptures located in the museum gardens. These are intricately designed with graceful swirls and curves reflecting the delicateness of the woman bearing a child. 

The baby innocently peers from the mother's womb as it lays still signifying the tiny life that is present within the mother.







 2. I found my new favorite artist when I visited Pinto Art in Ferdinand Montemayor's motion paintings. 

These are monochromatic wonders that let's you see how the seemingly abstract can show realistic movements as you stare at it longer.

Characteristically in black, greys and white, my favorite of this bunch has to be "Jackpot". See for yourself and be awed at the fluidity of movement of this horse racing scene. 

Eric posing next to "Jackpot" Acrylic on canvas (48 x 135 in) by Ferdinand Montemayor (2014)
"SBR (triptych)" Acrylic on canvas (72 x 144 in) by Ferdinand Montemayor (2014)

"FTW" Acrylic on canvas (42 x 96) by Ferdinand Montemayor (2014)





"Panalo" Acrylic on canvas (106 x 356 cm (tryptychh)) by Ferdie Montemayor (2012)

1. Call me hopeless romantic, but I was simply drawn to the love depicted in the sculpture of a man and a woman. 

Here the man opens his heart to his woman as if telling her, "Here is my heart. Behold it. This I offer to you".

It greatly inspired me since it depicts the very Christian message of loving and offering oneself for the other, much like how Christ loves us. 

"Oblivious" Steel wires and found objects (103.5 x 53 x 59 cm) by Stephanie Lopez (2010)

The top spot is a tie with this untitled wire sculpture (found in the same gallery) which is to me a stunning CG sequence of an invisible man.

Untitled wire sculpture.



Runner ups:

Of course I wouldn't leave out other artworks which, to a lesser extent, gave me a second good look.

"Champions" Acrylic on canvas (78 x 84 in) by Ferdinand Montemayor (2014)

"Daybed" Acrylic on canvas (122x122 cm) by Jim Orencio (2012)
(Untitled) outdoor art installation
(Untitled) Sculpture

I hope you enjoyed these artworks as much as I did. The photos wouldn't give the art justice though, so I strongly suggest you visit Pinto Art Museum 'pag may time

You may check out my review of the sights of Pinto Art Museum (located at 1 Sierra Madre Street, Antipolo City, Philippines) here. You can also read there important info on the museum rates and how to get there. 


Cheers, 


Eric




























Comments

Popular Posts